Full Professor at Lyon 2 University in Language education
Member of ICAR research team (CNRS)
Director of the Masters programme: Teaching French as a foreign language
Research domain: Technology mediated language learning
1 : Study of online interactions
2 : Study of teachers and learners' digital literacies
3 : Study of the potential of CALL for language learning and teaching
4 : Sociocritical reflection about the use of digital tools in education
Publications in English
- Guichon, N. (2017). Sharing a multimodal corpus to study webcam-mediated language teaching.Language Learning and Technology, 21(1), pp. 55–74.
- Guichon, N. & Cohen, C. (2016). Multimodality and CALL. In Farr, F & Murray, L. (eds.). The Routledge Handbook of Language Learning and Technology. London: Routledge. pp. 509-521.
- Cohen, C. & Guichon, N. (2016). Analyzing multimodal resources in pedagogical online exchanges: Methodological issues and challenges. In Caws, C. & Hamel, M.-J., Language-Learner Computer Interactions: Theory, Methodology and CALL Applications. New York, NY: John Benjamins. pp. 187–213.
- Guichon, N & Wigham, C. R. (2016). A semiotic perspective on webconferencing-supported language teaching, ReCALL 28(1), pp. 62-82.
- Holt, B., Tellier, M. & Guichon, N. (2015). The use of teaching gestures in an online multimodal environment: the case of incomprehension sequences. Proceedings of Gesture and Speech in Interaction 4th Edition. Nantes, France.
- Guichon, N. & Cohen, C. (2014). The Impact Of The Webcam On An Online L2 Interaction. Canadian Modern Language Journal. vol. 70, n°3, pp. 331–354.
- Rivens Mompean, A. & Guichon, N. (2013). From the development of online resources to their local appropriation. Journal of e-learning and Knowledge Society. Vol 9, No 1.
- Guichon, N. & Cohen, C. (2012). Enhancing L2 learners' noticing skills through self-confrontation with their own oral production performance. Cahiers de l'APLIUT, Volume XXXI N° 3, pp. 87-104.
- Guichon, N., Bétrancourt, M., Prié, Y. (2012). Managing written and oral negative feedback in a synchronous online teaching situation. Computer assisted language learning. Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 181–197
- Guichon, N. & Hauck, M. (2011). Teacher education research in CALL and CMC: more in demand than ever. ReCALL. 23(3): 187–199.
- Bétrancourt, M., Guichon, N. & Prié, Y. (2011). Assessing the use of a Trace-Based Synchronous Tool for distant language tutoring. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning, Hong-Kong, July 2011.
- Guichon, N. (2010).Preparatory study for the design of a desktop videoconferencing platform for synchronous language teaching. Computer Assisted Language Learning. 23(2): 171-184.
- Develotte, C., Guichon, N., Vincent, C. (2010) The use of the webcam for teaching a foreign language in a desktop videoconferencing environment, ReCALL (23 (3), p. 293-312.
- Guichon, N. (2009). Training future language teachers to develop online tutors' competence through reflective analysis. ReCALL 21(2): 166-185 .
- Rivens-Monpean, A. & Guichon, N. (2009). Assessing the use of aids for a computer-mediated task: Taking notes while listening. JALT CALL Journal 5(2), pp.45-60.
- Guichon, N. & McLornan, S. (2008). The effects of multimodality on L2 learners: Implications for CALL resource design. System. Vol. 36, n°1. pp 85-93.
- Les outils numériques au service de l'enseignement-apprentissage du français. Plenary invited conference at Assises universitaires du français. Moscow (Russia).
- The use of teaching gestures in an online multimodal environment. GESPIN conference (Nantes). With Benjamin Holt and Marion Tellier.
- Sharing a corpus to conduct multimodal analyses: theoretical and ethical issues. EUROCALL conference in Padua (Italy). With Benjamin Holt.
- L’utilisation d’outils numériques par les étudiants internationaux en contexte homoglotte. Colloque international du CRIFPE de Montréal (Canada). With Salifou Koné.
- Creating and sharing a language learning and teaching corpus of multimodal interactions: ethical challenges and methodological implications. Presentation at the CALL conference in Antwerp (Belgium) with Françoise Blin, Sylvie Thouësny et Ciara Wigham.
- Researching nonverbal dimensions in synchronous videoconferenced-based interactions. Presentation at the CALICO conference with Cathy Cohen. University of Athens, OH, USA.
- In and out of the frame of a desktop videoconferencing interaction. Presentation at the CALICO conference with Ciara Wigham. University of Athens, OH, USA.
- The preparation of multimodal feedback reports. Presentation at the EUROCALL's annual conference in Evora (Portugal).
- Développer les compétences de rétroaction chez les futurs enseignants de FLE en ligne. Conférence at the CRIFPE conference (Montreal).
- The impact of the webcam on an online L2 interaction: an experimental study. EUROCALL's annual conference in Gothenburg (Sweden). With Cathy Cohen.
- ICT and task based-language teaching Plenary conference at the Colóquio Internacional de Formação Inicial e Continuada de Professores de Línguas Estrangeiras (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil).
- French high-school students and digital technologies: use and perceptions EUROCALL's annual conference - Nottingham (UK).
- Assessing the use of a Trace-Based Synchronous Tool for distant language tutoring Computer Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL) conference. Hong Kong,with Mireille Bétrancourt and Yannick Prié. http://www.slideshare.net/yprie/cscl2011
- How ready are French language teachers to integrate ICT in their professional practice? EUROCALL CMC & Teacher Education SIGs Annual Workshop. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (Spain).
- Learning to give feedback in a synchronous online teaching situation. annual conference of EUROCALL (European Association for Computer-Assisted Language Learning) in Bordeaux (France).
- Preparatory study for the design of Visu, a desktop videoconferencing toolE-LEARN 2009 - World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare & Higher Education in Vancouver (Canada).
- From Skype to Visu : analysing the teacher's task in a desktop videoconferencing environment. annual conference of EUROCALL (European Association for Computer-Assisted Language Learning) in Gandia (Spain).
- S'évaluer par le biais de l'autoconfrontation : le cas des enseignants de langue en ligne. ADMEE (Association pour le Développement des Méthodologies d'Évaluation en Éducation en Europe) in Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium).
- Training language instructors to teach online. International conference on technology supported learning and training, Berlin (Germany).
- Learning to manage multimodal resources for synchronous online language teaching. annual conference of EUROCALL in Székesfehérvár (Hungary).
- Collaborative pedagogy in language and culture via desktop conferencing:affordances and constraints. Presentation in the sympoium Electronic literacy and educational practices: A global perspective. Annual conference of the American Association of Applied Linguistics (AAAL) in Washington DC, (USA) with Christine Develotte and Rick Kern.
- Vers une alphabétisation médiatique des tuteurs en ligne. Annual conference of the Association Internationale de Pédagogie Universitaire (AIPU) in Montreal (Canada) with C. Develotte.
Participation in funded research projects
2008-2011 : Scientific director for Lyon 2 of the ANR-funded project ITHACA (Interactive Trace for Human Awareness in Collaborative Annotation). http://liris.cnrs.fr/~ithaca/fr in association with Yannick Prié (Lyon 1) and Mireille Bétrancourt (Tecfa - Geneva)
2007 : Rethinking Language Teaching in the Digital Age : French and American Perspectives on Technology and Pedagogy research programme supported by the France-Berkeley Fund in association with Rick Kern (UC Berkeley) and C. Develotte (INRP)
- elected member of the Eurocall executive committee (from 2009 to 2012)
- member of ReCall's Editorial Board
- member of the International Advisory Group for the Australian Learning and Teaching Council (ALTC)-funded project, "Blended synchronicity: Uniting on-campus and distributed learners through media-rich real-time collaboration tools".